Skip to content

Getting the Nursery Ready

February 22, 2011

Once we finished painting the roof of the nursery, it was time to turn our attention to the interior.  It was a daunting task.

Although the building looks a lot better now than it did a year ago, it still had a way to go.  When CUE Haven was a dairy farm, what is now the nursery used to be the milking shed. 


We got it fixed up and slightly more presentable last winter:

We were very happy with the improved look but we still had to deal with the old chipped cinderblock and the discoloured plywood sheeting. 

Not only that, after years of disuse, the building had become a veritable condominium for birds.  In a sense it was a cradle to grave facility for them because not only were there almost a dozen nests, I also found five bird corpses hidden away in various nooks and crannies as I cleaned everything out.  We had to wait until all the little birds had flown away and the parents had abandoned the nests.   

The next steps were to clean everything up, paint the interior and bird proof the building and it won’t be long before we start our first planting trays.

Priming the storeroom, formerly the boiler room.  You can see the need for a paint job on the walls.

This was a really fun job

But worth the end result

We’d like to acknowledge the support of Resene paints who came on board once again and supported our efforts at CUE Haven by providing the interior paint at a significant discount.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: